Sunday 26 October 2014

Mrs P's and the 'Terrible' 2's...

Its hard to believe but Mrs P's is in 'her' 2nd year of business as a quilt shop!  That's pretty cool ! 

Thank you to all who have dropped in or emailed supporting the shop ( & me) with kind words of encouragements, gentle nudges to carry certain items and for purchasing items, no matter how small or big.  Purchases are obviously important for a shop but sometimes you just need to browse to get inspiration and that's okay, too.  I want you to feel comfortable in the shop and browse.  It's a place for you to come and enjoy yourself.  

I have also learned I like seeing what you have created!  I'm very envious of every finish but sometimes, someone will bring in a project in progress and that's really neat too. I will encourage you all to look at your 'works in progress' and try them again.  Why did you stop- you didn't like the colour choices, the blocks didn't go together as easily as expected or you got busy and forgot how much fun it is to create something yourself?  What ever the reason it got set down, I encourage you to pick it up and go a bit further on it.  

Just to put unfinished projects in perspective, Mrs P's started a Half Square Triangle (HST) blog post for you.

To make a 'proper' HST a pencil line is marked on the diagonal on one side...


A sharp pencil with a soft point is recommended.  I used a dull one, and sometimes it got hung up on the fabric and that's the 'pulls' you see on the white squares.  If you look even closer, one end took 2 or 3 lines to get to the point!  Somedays, you should just stop, but I persevered...


The one on the left shows shows the stitching a 1/4 inch from the pencil line with the lines fairly parallel.  If you look closer, you will see in my eagerness, I stitched right through the pencil line the 1st time.  I did that for 2 or 3 before, I clued in what I was supposed to be doing.  In my head- a line, whoopie!  I have something to sew on!  

The 2nd square shows another whoopsie.  On the 3rd one, parallel or 2 lines running side by side are more like converging lines and the 4th one seems to be reasonable.

Needless to say, I will continue to work on HSTs and when I am able to make them fairly proficiently, I will blog about them.  I share the above pictures so that you will realize, your quilting and piecing skills will not get better unless you practise!  It doesn't mean that I cannot do HST; it means, I am learning from my mistakes and practice is needed.  

Like in business, quilting takes patience and ground work or skills need to be worked on before the bigger quilt is made.  Take your time and enjoy quilting.  It is a wonderful way to find things out about yourself.  Being 2 isn't so terrible, as long as I keep learning! 






No comments:

Post a Comment