Thursday 8 May 2014

Because it is the right thing to do...


As you may be aware, I have been fortunate to learn to play the bagpipes.  That has led me on a path of were I am tonight.  I am in Ottawa and will be piping tomorrow in the National Day of Honour for Afghanistan Veterans.  

I'm very proud of the people that 'serve' to keep our land free and strong.  I may chafe at some of the politics but I also feel it is important to honour these veterans and also all veterans.  They protect us and allow us to have the freedoms that we think we are entitled to.  

Late Monday night, I heard from my band that that I would be permitted to pipe in the parade!   I've been scurrying around for the past couple of days trying to get myself here with the least amount of impact to Mrs Pugsley's Emporium Inc.   I explained where and why to Karen Neary and she is     'man-ing' the shop while I am here in Ottawa.  

This is about pride in ourselves as Canadians.  Please pause to remember the Veterans tomorrow/ today.  Although this parade is about Afghanistan Veterans- all Veterans  should be honoured and everyday! 

Not all veterans were in the military.  RCMP and CSC ( Correctional Services Canada ) have 'veterans' that will be honoured tomorrow.  The government website for more info is 

http://www.app.forces.gc.ca/ndoh-jndc/national-day-of-honour.html

Enough of the soapbox!  Enjoy your day and your communities!  I'm so excited- meanwhile, the forecast is for thunder showers!  

2 comments:

  1. You do Amherst proud, Beth - way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the weather held off until much later in the evening.

    ReplyDelete