Tuesday 15 April 2014

Self Criticism or laziness?...

Tonight, I was working on type of rag quilt which has more pieces.  Each piece is attached to the next larger piece until the size of block is achieved.  I got it this far...


Rag quilts are supposed to 'homey' and not every edge needs to a true square but this one was running downhill.  See the dark blue on the red strip.

Now, I can keep the quilt block going or I can fix it.  In this case, I decided to fix it.  Why? Because, I knew I could do better.  I did not fix it because people will look and comment on a flaw- I did it for myself and because I have pride in my work. 

It's important to try things and to do new things. Unfortunately, not everything you do will be perfect (especially if it the first time trying something new).  It is important to know when the boo-boo should be fixed or it's so small that it is not a 'big' deal in the finished quilt.   

In the above case, a fix was in order.  It's the 1st block and  it happened because I was rushing and not paying enough attention to the project. 

In trying to position squares or circles on another piece of fabric, fold all the pieces and finger crease or press the edges on the new squares...


This allows a 'line' to seen on all the pieces and things will line up square to the centres...


Above is the 'fixed' block for the new ragg quilt.  It may not be perfect- but it is a better attempt than the 1st on, where I was lazy and tried to skip the alignment step. 


This is the flannel square for the back (right side up to show the colour), the poly cotton batting and the top.  Next step is rearranging to a quilt sandwich...


Once these are piled on top of each other, an X will need to be stitched through all layers. This makes a quilt sandwich and then there will many of these joined together for a quilt.  


These bundles went to a hard working individual who turned them into...


 A wonderful rag quilt!

A rag quilt can be a wonderful beginner quilt project.  It is a charming  place to practice your stitching lines on and because of the ragging, it is very forgiving of any errors.  As in any quilting project, a glaring problem should be addressed when you find it- for your own pride in what you are making. 



No comments:

Post a Comment